That got me doodling about additions areas for our level, to try and make the start more interesting.
- I altered the initial spawn area (the quarantine tent) so it was more of a sideways "J" shape. The reasoning behind this was that it restricts the players view, so they can only see into the Queen's building once they've curved round. The straight on approach takes out the suspense since you can see where you're going straight away :P
- On the first floor, after you've gone up the stairs to bypass the collapsed ceiling, I've added in a blockade and a bypass room. Basically this forces you to go into one of the side rooms and curve around the blockage, hopefully breaking the monotony of the corridor. That's the little room below the first diagram, by the way.
- The corner room and the subsequent corridor were tedious and another series of corridors to trudge down, so I was playing with ways of changing them up a little. I experimented with having the player trek into the basement for a short stretch to change the visuals up a little.
- You leave the basement via a short ladder, and emerge back on the ground floor via an access manhole thingybob. The room it's in is a maintenance place I think, but I've shortened it to a supply closet.
- Exit the closet and into the atrium connector. And that's as far as I went.
So yeah, just some thoughts on shaking up the layout. Thoughts and feedback?